January 25, 2012

Outrageous Kid Parties On a Budget - Part 3

Birthday Banner!

Ok, so I decided now was as good a time as any to make a birthday banner.  I wanted something that I could use for everyone in my families birthday and that was inexpensive to make and would last.  I had seen paper and fabric ones but decided on paper when I came across this ADORABLE party hat and stripe paper at hobby lobby.  I don't scrapbook so I thought that this would be the perfect use for it.  Then to make it durable I decided to laminate it.

Here it is (I am not good at photography so the picture isn't very good):


What I did:
1. Picked out fun paper, I got 4 triangles out of each 12x12 piece of paper.  One piece of paper would be enough for circles and letters.
2. Make patterns - I just used a ruler to make the triangles then for the circles I traced a circle on paper, folded it up (like a snow flake) and cut a curved top to get the flower type shape.
3. Letters - I printed "Happy Birthday Maddie" then set it on card stock and traced over it to make an indention in the card stock then cut it out :)  Easy and no lines to worry about!
4. I used a stamp pad to darken the edges (brown ink) but this is an optional step
5. Glue it together
6. Laminate
7. Attach to rope, ribbon, string or whatever you choose!

Cost Break Down:
1. Paper - 8 pieces of Paper, 1/2 off at Hobby Lobby ($2.36)
2. I had some card stock that I used for the letters but I only needed 2 pieces.  I could have fit on one but wanted different colors. ($0)
3. Rope - I had some left over from a cake I did, perfect use!  ($0)
4. Laminating - Use Mardel Christian Book if you can, it's SOOOOO cheap!  ($0.75)

Total Cost:  $3.11
Not bad for a banner I can use over and over!  Oh, and by having the name detached I can make each child's name and pattern different in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment