January 23, 2012

Outrageous Kid Parties On a Budget - Part 2

The Invitations!

Ok, this will probably end up being the most pricey part of my birthday bash but I wanted cute invitations and I wanted original invitations.  I knew I wanted a picture on it and something with owls but just couldn't find anything I loved.  Soooo, I used those connections I was telling you about.  In this case the connections are Cayton's Cousin Franci who just happens to do graphic design on the side (her full time job is stay at home mom but this passion of hers has become a side business and let me just tell you, she's GREAT!  But I'll gush more about that later).  Make sure to check out her website -  http://redcurtaindesigns.wordpress.com/

Ok, so when I started thinking about the party I knew exactly what I wanted - A 5x7 invitation with a picture of Maddie at the top, the text on the bottom half along with a couple owls on a branch with party hats.  I had never actually seen this, but that was what I wanted.  I talked with Franci about possibly doing the invites and if it would work with her being in Los Angeles and me in Oklahoma and she assured me it would (and honestly, I think it was easier with her half way across the country than it would have been with someone in town!)  I told her what I wanted and sent her a picture of the roughest sketch you have probably ever seen and got this:
Ok, please excuse me while I gush - I was so excited when I got these invitations!  I was also a little shocked because it was EXACTLY what I had in my head!  I loved the owls and the polka dots and the picture and I had to remind myself I was supposed to be looking for corrections and changes.  Needless to say I didn't really need to make any changes, they were perfect!  Not only that but it was quick.  I also had the option for her to print them out there and send them or send me a copy through email that I could take and have printed.  She even called the print place here that I took them too before I went to make sure the file she sent would work!  It was a completely hassle free experience - something we all love!

Cost Breakdown:
Franci's Mad Design Skills - $10
  • This is a special family discount, she usually charges $75 but she has offered to offer a discount for "Wannabe Super Mom" readers of $30* so seriously, check her out for all your graphic design needs and just tell her you read it on here!!!
Printing Cost - $12     (I printed 15...got 17, but not sure why)
Envelopes - $0      I had some envelopes from old Christmas cards and stuff
Postage - ??? 
  • I can't remember what stamps are now but I hand delivered those that I could and used stamps left over from Christmas cards.  - You can also consider doing postcards to avoid envelopes and save on Postage.
Total Cost: $22 + Postage

Again, this would be an area that would be very easy to cut price on but this was something that I wanted to be nice.  Tips for cutting cost - make your own!  Go get some scrapbook paper or even the little blank card packs at Hobby Lobby and get to crafting ;)


*There may be some exceptions to this but I promise she is fair at pricing and does a VERY good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment