June 27, 2011

"I'll have the usual." - Branching Out

If you are anything like me, you like to stick to what you know but sometimes "the usual" just doesn't cut it.  Always ordering the same thing at restaurants or making the same dishes for dinner week after week can get old so I have teamed up with some friends to branch out and make those recipes that look so delicious. So far it has been a blast so I wanted to share my experience and hopefully encourage you to branch out in the kitchen.

I first started this with a student from the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministries) Elise Moore.  She was staying in town this summer and enjoys cooking like I do so we decided to get together once a week and try a new recipe.  We switch up who brings the recipe and ingredients each week, that way, we are both picking things that are new and we are not responsible for picking a recipe and getting items together every week.  So far we have made Chocolate Carmel filled Cupcakes, French Toast Puffs, Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Cream Puffs and Taco Soup.  It's a great adventure and Elise even blogs about our weekly adventures.  Not only is it fun, but it's also a great ministry opportunity.  If you are intimidated by just meeting a talking (worried about running out of things to say or it becoming awkward), then find something you both enjoy and be intentional about asking questions and getting to know them.

The second cooking adventure is with the Tuck Family.  Melissa and Tony are former co-workers but long time friends ;)  We decided to watch "The Next Food Network Star" together and what's better than watching a cooking competition while trying new foods.  We cook dinner each week and it's a rule that at least one thing has to be new.  It has been a lot of fun too and it's a nice change of activity for hanging with friends.

So here are a few thoughts on my new cooking adventures:
  • It's more fun cooking with others and it's less stressful (most of the time).  I love laughing together as we make new recipes.
  • I always see things that look good in magazines or on blogs but generally mark the page and never look back.  This is a great opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and actually make that recipe.  A few places I go for my recipes:
    • Food Network Magazine - I love this magazine, I am always so excited when it comes in the mail.  On occasion the recipes do call for some odd items but most of the time I can substitute if I have to, and most recipes are designed for the everyday cook.
    • SmittenKitchen.com - I don't know who this person is, but I am a HUGE fan.  Whether it's salted brown butter rice krispies or cream cheese frosting, these recipes rarely disappoint.
    • All Recipes.com - I like this website because there are lots of comments so you can see what people thought of it before you try it.
  • Failure's are fun...well, ok, nobody likes failing (having a not so good recipe) but it's part of the adventure.  I tried some blondies that didn't turn out as I had hoped but it's all part of the fun, and who knows, you may even get a good story out of it :)
  • I get to make and try the things I've wanted to try.  Melissa and Tony made fish tacos which I had never had but always wanted to try.  I made cream puffs, something I thought I would never do, and I have made things that I would have never thought to make or try because someone else picked it.
So get started on a cooking adventure and try that new recipe.  On my list of things to try still: Homemade lasagna, tortillas, and peach cobbler...and if you have a recipe I should try send it this way, I would love to see it!  Happy Cooking :)

5 comments:

  1. I love you. Thank you for sharing all these special and yummy things with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made (tonight being exact) a recipe from the Smitten Kitchen website! I just discovered the website this week. I wish we were in Stillwater. I would come cook with you :). We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I love cooking! And I love to try new recipes! Well, this all started when I married the man of my dreams, who just happens to have a mother that should have her own television cooking show... seriously.

    All that being said, I am always looking for fun and adventurous recipes. I like online sites, and one of my favorites that you didn't mention is eatingwell.com... Specifically, their beer battered fish tacos with tomato & avacado salsa!!! (We had them for dinner last night)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got dibs on trying tortillas with you! I've tried them once before, but they only turned out okay, so I'd definitely like to give them another shot. I have a recipe for them, from the Fog City Diner Cookbook! (Fog City Diner, as in the one in "So I Married An Axe Murderer"!)

    - Melissa

    ps I don't have an account anywhere, which is why I can't officially follow you or post a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy - We must catch up next time you are in town
    Andrea - I'm definitely going to have to check out that website
    Melissa - Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete