January 9, 2015

What a difference a year can make, Part 1

As most of you know, I am a mother of 2.  My second child, Isaiah, was born in August of 2013.  After he was born I found myself back in a struggle that I have fought my entire life, my weight.  I don't remember myself ever not being overweight, probably because I haven't been a healthy weight since my early elementary school days.  I learned to love the person God created but still longed to be healthy, active and I'll just say it, skinny!  I never dreamed that I would ever be called "skinny" but decided I needed to do something other than just "watch what I eat" if I wanted to lose weight.  Prior to this I had 2 times where i had lost about 20-30lbs but it came with strict calorie counting and rigid exercise plans that I eventually just could not keep up with.

So as I was perusing facebook one day, I saw 2 posts from high school friends about weight loss success.  It got me inspired and motivated to make a change.  But there are so many diets out there where would I begin to choose one?  There are a few things I know I couldn't do: No Carbs, No Sugar, No Meat...well, anything that said something was forbidden.  I just don't have that kind of will power.  So I decided to try weight watchers.  I chose it for a few reasons: 1. I had a friend that has lost almost 100 lbs using it!  That's incredible, and the fact that I got to see the change in her and see her keep it off was a HUGE motivation.  One of the friends that posted was also doing weight watchers, it just seemed to work for lots of people.  2. No forbidden foods.  I could eat what I wanted and focused more on healthy lifestyle choices and portion control. 3. Not a huge time commitment.  I have 2 small kids and was working part time and doing cakes part time...I was busy.  I didn't have time for meetings either but their was an online program I thought I could do.  I also didn't know if I had time or discipline for a strict exercise regimen.

So, I sat down at the computer with a pack of oreos (not a lie, I thought this would be the last time I got to enjoy food for a long time...which wasn't true) and signed up for 3 months of weight watchers online.  I didn't know what was in store for me, I didn't even know if I could do it or if it would work.  I confided in a friend that I was going to do it and she asked me my goal.  I was too scared to set a weight goal in fear of not meeting it.  So I made this goal:
I was going to give Weight Watchers an honest 3 month try.  No cuts, no cheats, follow the plan and see where I was after 3 months and go from there.

3 months later, I had lost 20 lbs.  I felt good and while it was work, it wasn't hard.  It was the easiest diet I had done.  I wasn't really exercising, just tracking what I ate.  Now I have been on weight watchers for a year and 2 months and here's the part everyone wants to know, the results!

Here is a picture from our family photos right BEFORE I started weight watchers:
Here is a Family Photo taken just shy of a year later:




And here are the cold hard facts of where I came from and where I am now:
Total Weight Lost: 65 lbs.
Starting Jean size: 18
Current Jean size: 8!!!!

A friend encouraged me to take measurements before I started (a truly dreadful thing in my opinion but so glad I did!)  I measured once a month and it was so helpful because even if I hadn't lost weight I had often lost inches...bodies are just weird like that.  So here are those details:

Arms: 3.25 inches lost
Waist: 10 inches lost
Hips: 9 inches lost
Legs: 5.5 inches lost

I also started running in October 2014 and can run 3-5 miles now.  I can honestly say that I NEVER imagined I would make it here.  I am thinner that I ever have been.  Do I always feel great about how I look?  No, I think that is something we as women will ALWAYS struggle with unfortunately.  But I know that I am doing good and working hard and I truly believe I have made life long changes in eating habits that will help me keep it off.  This is by no means the end of my journey but a very exciting start to a healthy life!

I couldn't type everything I wanted in this message without it being forever long.  So here is part 1!
Part 2 will be more about the Journey - tips, ideas, struggles & victories...I hope to get this out next week!

In the mean time, if you want to take the leap, here is a link that also helps me get a free month :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, daughter! ;-) Keep up the good work and inspiring others!! :-D

    ReplyDelete