January 17, 2014

Borrow or Buy? A guide for 1st time moms



I’ve been pondering this blog since my first child almost 3 years ago.  I remember going to register and being COMPLETELY over whelmed.  I got all the stuff that people say you “must have” and probably an additional 507 items that are a “necessity”.  I did make sure that all of the big stuff was gender neutral for future kids (which I strongly encourage) but still found myself thinking “what am I going to do with all this stuff!?”  My son was born almost 5 months ago and as I have been dragging out lots of our old stuff this blog came back to mind.  I hope that all of you moms to be out there find this helpful J

Why Borrow?
There a few reasons why I tell you to borrow.  The first is obvious but worth mentioning:
1.      It saves a TON of money!  Baby gear is probably one of the biggest rip offs out there (right up there with wedding crap – sorry if you’re offended by the word crap.)  Of the hundreds of things that you “need” I would say only about 5% of it would actually fit in that category. 
2.      It saves space (which is almost more valuable than the money to me!!!) – The first year of life your baby grows so much and so fast.  There are a lot of things that are really great to have but after using it for only a month or two you look down and think “now what do I do with this?”
a.      What should I buy?  Things that will be used for the majority of their baby days (see specifics below).
b.      What should I borrow?  Things that are temporary useful, something that you will only use for a month or two (see specifics below).
3.      It helps your friends save space!  I always LOVE helping friends with kids out.  It’s a joy to help them and it gets these things out of my house for a while J
4.      You can get more useful things as gifts!  Instead of all of these big ticket items (that generally you don’t get ) you can register for things that you really need and will use, like diapers and wipes!

Why Buy?
1.      It’s something I will use long term – things that will be used 6 months or more I would say are usually worth buying.  You can borrow these if you can find them but a lot of times mom’s are still using these items. (see specifics below)
2.      It’s something that will get ruined – there are some things that are better to buy just because they barely make it through one kid.  Lets face it, babies are disgusting.  Prepare yourself for more poop, pee and spit up than you ever imagined…and maybe all at one time, in the middle of dinner, while they are sitting on your lap.  Welcome to parenthood J (see specifics below)
3.      It’s a great deal! – If you find something that’s just a really good deal, go for it.  You can always lend it out to friends that have babies later down the road J  Consignment sales are a GREAT place to find these deals.  AdorableAffordables is a good one in Stillwater and Just Between Friends (I have only been to Tulsa and OKC…they are HUGE and can be a little overwhelming but you have TONS of options).

Borrow or Buy? – A practical list

Crib – Buy
I would say definitely buy a crib.  I strongly encourage one of the cribs that converts into toddler bed then into twin bed headboard and footboard.  Maddie was in her crib and then we changed it into the toddler bed which she slept in until we used the crib for Isaiah.  We will eventually use the headboard and footboard but it kept us from having to have 3 beds for Maddie.

Changing Table – Buy
This is something that you will use for at least a year and a half.  My suggestion – buy a cabinet or something that isn’t technically a changing table.  Then buy the foam changing pad and cover and put it on top, then when you are done with babies you have a nice piece of furniture you can still use!

Diaper Pail/Trashcan – Avoid!
I say don’t buy this at all.  They stink, you need to take out the diapers WAY before it’s full, the stench soaks in to the plastic and it’s just disgusting.  I’ve heard diaper geenie’s are good, but the bags are expensive.  My thoughts – why waste money when you can just take it to the trash?  We used one for Maddie and I decided not to use one at all with Isaiah and I love it!  It’s not that hard to take diapers to our main trash can (that we take out frequently anyway).  I wrap poopy diapers up in walmart bags and put them in the main trash or we can take them out. 

Baby Bath Tub – Borrow
I bought this really cool foam tub to bathe infants in.  I really like the tub, it’s great, but my kids only fit in it for about 2 weeks – 1 month.  At the beginning they can’t have a bath until their umbilical cord heals, then they don’t fit in the sink much longer.  I had to buy another tub that we can use for a while but once your baby can sit in a regular tub it’s a pain in the rear to store.  Try borrowing one if you can, if not, buy a cheap one.  Most come with little hammock type attachments for infant days.

Bassinet – Borrow
We had some people give us a bassinet and I’ll be honest, I love it.  I know a lot of people use pack and plays these days but they are about twice the size of a bassinet.  However, if you are going to buy a pack n play a bassinet is kind of redundant.  They will outgrow it in just a few months which will leave you either needing a pack n play or putting them in your crib.

Stroller & Carseat – Buy
These are items that are musts.  You can’t leave the hospital without a car seat and if you never use a stroller I don’t know how you did it.  I suggest the combo because then the car seat just clips in.  However, these strollers are big and bulky.  Not great for travel.  We had a combo given to us with Maddie but after a car wreck had to get a new one.  I found a great deal on a Chicco at a consignment sale.  I was also able to buy a much slimmer stroller that is just for the infant carrier (there’s no seat for after they outgrow the carrier).  This was worth having, it’s so much lighter and easier to travel with.  I also highly recommend having 2 car seat bases for your car seat (it comes with one).  This makes it easier to swap baby duty without swapping cars.  This will be especially important if your child will be in daycare and mom and dad will both be picking up the child on different days.

Boppy – Borrow First, possibly Buy
Lots of people love the boppy (or similar items).  I don’t.  I don’t like laying my babies on it, I feel like they are too high.  I prefer putting a pillow under my arm.  If you end up liking it, it’s worth having but I wish I hadn’t got one.

Pack n Play – Borrow or Buy
I can go either way on this one.  If you travel a lot, I would say it’s worth the dough.  If not, it may be better to borrow.  You might run in to trouble finding one around the holidays though.  If you do buy one, go basic.  I bought one that is pack n play with infant insert (so they’re higher up when small), changing table attachment, mobile and sound machine.  This is too much stuff.  I really like the infant insert thing but the music maker, mobile and changing table just take up space in our closet. 

High ChairBuy
High chairs are really hard to keep clean.  Kids are in them for the soul purpose of trying to destroy them…and then they might eat a bite here and there.  Not only do they get pretty dirty, we used ours for a loooong time.  Maddie probably used it from 5 months until just after 2.  I loved being able to roll it in our room so she could eat breakfast while I got ready.  I would say go for comfort here too.  I think these are much better than the wood ones.  We occasionally put Isaiah in it already (he’s almost 5 months).  It’s a great place for him to play during our dinner time or while I cook.

Command Center a.k.a. Exersaucer – Borrow
 
This is another thing that I think is one of the greatest things.  Kids love it when they are too young to even crawl but are ready to do some turning and standing.  However, they are very inconvenient to store.  This was given to us and I am so thankful for it, but it’s also the item that I enjoy lending out the most J

Play Mat – Buy for cheap or borrow
We use the play mat a lot.  I prefer the one with the foam bars over it that have toys hanging off.  This is great for the early days and my babies really enjoy it.  It’s not too hard to store either.  However, they can cost a pretty penny…and I am not sure why.  I didn’t get one at first because they seemed really overpriced.  I eventually found one for cheap and it was a great purchase.  If it doesn’t have the stuff over it, it’s not worth it at all in my opinion. 

Jumper – Borrow
I didn’t have one with Maddie and decided to see if I could borrow one for Isaiah.  I found one and he’s really enjoying it but I know a lot of babies don’t.  It’s also a little bulky so will be a hassle to store after he uses it for only a few months.

Bouncer and/or Swing –
Ok, so I am leaving this one up to you but here is my opinion.  I think the bouncer is incredible and worth every penny.  It’s really useful for 0-6 months.  It breaks down but it’s still a little bit of a hassle to store.  This was something we used a lot, I loved being able to put the kids in it while I showered, cooked, cleaned, did laundry, take Maddie outside to play.  It’s fantastic.  They aren’t that expensive usually and they are pretty easy to transport.  This is also a really good item to find at a consignment sale.  If you can find one to borrow, more power to ya!  Swings – I know lots of people that say they couldn’t live without their swing.  I am not that person.  I rarely used the swing on either kid.  I bought a small one that is supposed to fold up easy but for me, it’s still just a hassle.  I would much rather use the bouncer or one of the other items above (probably because swings tend to put kids to sleep too and I didn’t want my kids sleeping in swings).

Potty Seat – Buy
Think about it, do you really want a used one?  I don’t.

Bumbo – Borrow or don’t bother
I didn’t love the bumbo.  It’s good for maybe a month but I felt so bad for the kids.  They just looked all hunched over and uncomfortable and they can’t reach toys…it’s just sad to me.  I would much rather use the high chair or command center.

Breast Pump – Buy
If you are going to breast feed, I highly recommend buying a pump.  If you borrow you will still have to buy your own tubes and attachments for sanitary reasons.  It’s kind of on the same page as the potty seat, it’s just kind of eeeewwww.  You can rent one from Cimarron Medical Supply in Stillwater (you still have to buy all the tubes and attachments too).  I did this because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to pump but decided I really prefer it.  I was also told to only buy medela from several sources so I will pass that along.

Well, this is all I can think of for the moment.  If you have additional questions or if you’d like to borrow something, let me know!  Hope this takes a little bit of the stress out of baby shopping J

No comments:

Post a Comment