July 9, 2013

My FAVORITE Pinterest Discoveries!!! With Links

When I started my blog I had the lofty goal of posting at least 2 times a month, preferably every week.  5 months later I am finally posting again :) 

However, in that time I have made some new discoveries and had time to think about some of the life changing things I have found/learned on Pinterest (thanks Melissa Tuck for forcing me to do it!)

So, without further blah, blah, blah; here are a few of my FAVORITE pinterest discoveries (In no real order).

I have told many people that I just don't know how to get stains out.   I have a 2 year old so clothes ALWAYS had stains on it.  Some of the worst stains came from cutie oranges, watermelon and dirt.  I tried anything that was recommended - shout, oxiclean, every detergent you could imagine, mixtures and all sort of concoctions.  Then I found this!  Add 1/2 c. Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/2 c. Washing Soda (NOT baking soda) to your load along with your detergent (homemade or store bought).  Agitate for a bit then let it sit.  I am so thankful for this pin!  My whites are whiter, long time stains can no longer be found and I am a very happy Mama!
Results you can see and sooooo easy!  Just add a cup of white vinegar to water and soak your fruit and veggies for about 10 minutes.  Why I love it?  It's so easy.  When I get home from the store I start filling the sink.  I dump all the fruits and veggies in and let them sit.  By the time the rest of my groceries are put up they're done and I pull them out to dry.  It's a little work up front but then I know that my fruit and veggies are ready whenever.  It makes it easy for a quick snack or when you're in a hurry to not have to worry about the extra step.  PLUS, you should see the dirt that comes off!  No way a quick "stick it under the water" gets it clean.  Worried about it tasting like vinegar?  Don't worry, I have never tasted it but you could also do a quick rinse under water afterwards.  
  • REMOVE MILDEW SMELL FROM TOWELS
 I always hated how I would have clean towels and after 1 use they smelled like mildew.  This was another thing that I just kind of gave up on fixing.  Then, I saw it on Pinterest :)  I don't have a link here because I changed it up quite a bit.  I think originally it said wash in hot water with 1 c. baking soda, then again with 1 c. white vinegar, then AGAIN with detergent.  That's a lot of washing and I like short cuts.  I started off washing with vinegar then with detergent (so 2 loads total).  Then I got pressed for time and decided just to add detergent and 1 c. vinegar to the load and wash on hot.  It worked perfectly!!!  I NEVER have the mildew smell.  I just add the vinegar every week when I was towels. This was one of those things that I was quite skeptical of.  I mean really people, sometimes I think that people post things on pinterest to see if people are dumb enough to do them.  But I hate shredding chicken and always feel like it takes 10x as long as I anticipate.  I saw this where you put your cooked chicken breast in the kitchen aid and let it go.  Holy Cow!!!  It was so fast and was perfectly shredded!  Seriously, takes about 30 seconds max!  At first I didn't know if it was worth the dirty dishes but after I tried it I concluded...yes, it is worth it.  Worth it EVERY time!
I have a lot of recipes that I have found and LOVED on pinterest (check out my Certified Delicious Board HERE if interested) but this one makes the list because of its breading technique.  This recipe in general is VERY good.  We love it, but after making this, I now use their breading technique EVERY time I do something breaded/fried.  I always had trouble getting a good thick coating but by dipping in flour mixture, then wet mixture then flour mixture I get a perfect thick crust (that doesn't separate!) every time!
 I recently decided to try making my own crib sheets.  I couldn't find any I liked and they were so expensive!  I was amazed at how simple they were and how great they turned out :)
  • KIDS CLOTHES/COSTUMES
 This isn't really anything special but I love finding ideas for clothes and costumes on pinterest!  It's hard to be creatively "on" all the time so share our ideas :)  You can always personalize it with your own modifications!

FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT - PINTEREST FAILS!
These are things that I will go ahead and tell you not to bother with!  
  • Homemade carpet cleaner - it had me using an iron and all sorts of stuff.  If you visit you will notice just as many stains.
  • Homemade Cough Syrup - this is my MOST embarrassing.  I was desperate people.  It was a concoction of honey, vinegar and cayenne pepper...I was dumb enough to try it, take my advice and DON'T!
  • Homemade Fruit snacks - I actually tried 2 recipes.  They actually looked good but they were HORRIBLE!  

That's all for me, but I would LOVE to hear some of your favorite pinterest discoveries and fails...if you're willing to admit it :)

1 comment:

  1. Planning to try the stain treatment, veggie/fruit wash, and mildew smell in towel treatment . . . as I have these SAME issues! (Don't have a kitchen aid for the chicken shredding and don't need crib sheets at the moment or I'd do those too!) Thanks for the "I tried it and it worked" recommendation! Good work, friend!

    ReplyDelete