January 28, 2015

What a difference a year can make, Part 3

I am so excited about all of the positive feedback from the first 2 parts of my "What a difference a year can make" series.  I am so excited to hear about all of the people that have been encouraged and motivated and so I want to give you some more healthy tips that have helped me get this far.

Eating Out
This was probably the HARDEST part of the whole program.  Eating out can be a point killer.  Super sized portions, everything fried, complimentary appetizers (Bread, Chips, etc.) are all waiting to sabotage you, but you can win!  How?

*Eat before you go.  Wait, did you read that right?  You'll spoil your dinner. 
This is a tip I got from my Weight Watchers accountability friend.  Grab an apple, carrots or some other fruit or veggie and eat it before you go or on the way.  This will help you stay in control.  If you're starving when you get there the bottomless bread or chips could have you out of points before you order.  If you are in control and not starving you can decide weather that extra breadstick is worth it or not.

*Plan Ahead (Saving Points & Researching Menus)
When possible, I try to have an idea of what days I will be eating out for the week.  I eat a light breakfast and lunch (or plan to make a light dinner if it's lunch out) and save my weekly points for these occasions.  This can also apply to things like get togethers (like the superbowl coming up).  Planning ahead will allow you to have some extra points to splurge a little, maybe eat an extra breadstick or a few more chips.  I also try to look at the points for different menu items on the weight watchers app.  I usually pick out a few point friendly options and go with what sounds best when I get there. 

*Splurge a little
Some places I go I splurge.  Joe's I have to have cheese fries, a local restaurant has the best chicken and waffles.  It's delicious and the reason I like weight watchers is that if I want it, I can have it.  Remember, you don't have to eat it all, and if you are worried you will, you can always ask them to box half of it up right away.

*Don't be fooled
I'll just get a salad.  Sometimes salads can be a bigger disaster than a hamburger and fries.  If you don't believe me, check out this article, 15 salads worse than a big mac.  There are a lot of restaurants that I thought were good healthy options that I found were really hard to control points at, like McAlister's Deli.  Then there are places that I thought were bad, like chick-fil-a that I can actually do pretty well at.  What I look for and what I avoid when eating out:
Grilled - this is a much better option than fried and I enjoy the flavors so much more.
Anything on a bun I try to avoid, it's extra points that I would rather use on something else.
Fried - I try to avoid this, but sometimes I just want some fries or fried food.  I try to balance it when I do.  If I want a fried food that is the main dish I try to go light on the sides or vice versa.
Mexican - Mexican food can be some of the healthier choices so I love going to mexican restaurants.  Especially if you can pass on the things like guacamole and sour cream...and not eat 3 baskets of chips ;)  Plus, salsa is a GREAT flavor booster that is low in points!


Snacking
I like to snack, and it helps you to not go crazy at meals.  I am sure you have heard the "5 small meals a day are better than 2 or 3 large meals".  Fruits and veggies are obvious good choices but here are a few of my favorite low point snacks:

Popcorn - I feel like I get a lot for the points.
Crackers and Pretzels - Gold fish and Pretzels you also get more for your points
Yogurt - Yoplait light is only 2 pts a container
Dry cereal - I like to get some of those sugary kinds like krave or fruit loops to help when I have a sweet tooth.

Desserts
This is my biggest weakness.  I love dessert.  I love dessert so much I have been known to use 1/3-1/2 of my daily points on dessert...but I try to not do that too often.  So, I needed to find something to give me that sweet fill without killing my day/week.  Here are my top picks.

Ice Cream - Ice cream is my hands down favorite food.  It's my dessert island food, who cares if I wouldn't last long on an ice cream diet, I would enjoy every meal.  Most ice creams are 4-5pts. for a 1/2 cup.  I was surprised that a 1/2 c. would actually be enough to satisfy but most of the time it is.  I like to put it in the mini cake cones that are 0 pts. which makes it feel like a real treat.  You can lighten it even more by getting low fat ice cream or sorbet. 

Mini Candy Bars - I discovered at halloween that keeping a bag of small fun size candy bars was a good idea.  I could eat a small candy bar for dessert and satisfy a chocolate craving for 2 pts.  And then I didn't feel the need to eat 8pts in a full sized candy bar.

Popsicles - Make your own fruit pops using a little bit of juice for a low point treat.

Cooking
You don't have to cook something different for your family.  Make substitutions when possible and try to add healthy options.

Bread or Potatoes - I used to do bread and potatoes a lot, and often had them at both meals.  Now I try to do one or the other.

At least one veggie option at each meal - I love veggies, always have, so this wasn't too hard.  I try to make one or two veggie dishes for every meal.  I make a lot so if I am still hungry I have a guilt free option for seconds.

Fruit as a side - I didn't always eat much fruit.  They seemed like so much work to peel and prep that I didn't eat it much.  So now I make sure to prep my fruit (wash it, cut it, etc.) as soon as I buy it so it's always ready.  I also started using fruit as a side at meals.  This is another great way to feel like you are getting dessert too :)

Substitute - Make wise substitutions, go for light or low fat things when possible - butter, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.  If a recipe calls for 1 c. of cheese, consider using less.  Try 1/2 c. or 2/3c.  It may not seem like much but these little changes can add up.  I also use lean meat (try oscar meyer lean beef franks for hot dogs, 3 pts. for 2 hot dogs!  They are my favorite hot dogs even over fatty ones, seriously.)

Use things like spices, onions, herbs and salsa to give meals more flavor instead of things like butter or cream.

I am sure there are a lot more that I have forgot but I will try to add to this as I think of them.  Feel free to add your own tips and tricks for healthy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment