November 29, 2011

Maddie's Christmas Onesie + Instructions

I am in the Christmas spirit and have been in a crafty mood for a few months now so naturally, I decided to make some cute Christmas onesies for Maddie.  I got the idea from a baby boutique here in Stillwater and decided to make my own cute outfits instead of shelling out $30+ for theirs.  It took some time but wasn't too difficult.  I plan to make some others but started with a Christmas tree.
How To:
  1. Find some onesies - I got a 3 pack of long sleeve ones at Old Navy for $7.50
  2. Buy a roll of green ribbon.  I did hobby lobby (50% off) and chose a pattern but solid works too.
  3. Cut ribbon to desired length.  I think mine were probably around 3" (They will overlap each other so make them a little longer to be able to do that)
  4. To keep the ribbon from raveling I used a lighter to melt the ends.  The did make them kind of stiff and hard to gather so you may want to use clear nail polish instead.
  5. Gather each ribbon piece.  This isn't a mandatory step, but I did it to add some volume and to keep it from showing through other levels.
  6. Sew the ribbon on.  Start with the bottom layer.  I did 5 on bottom then 4, 3, 2, 1.  For bigger kids you may choose to have thicker ribbon or more layers.  You can hand sew or use a sewing machine.  I pinned each layer after I sewed the one before it to prevent it getting caught.
  7. Sew on buttons as ornaments - choose colors and sizes of your liking.
  8. For "star" I cut a circle piece of fabric.  Hand sew around the edge of circle and pull tight to make a little flower blossom and then sew it on with a button in the middle!
Ok, so these directions may not be the best, but I will try and post step by step pictures for the next ones :)

No comments:

Post a Comment