October 22, 2012

CVS - A Girl w/ coupons gives it a go!

Well, Stillwater, get excited, we officially have a CVS!!!!  I have been anticipating the opening of our CVS since Perkins Restaurant went down.  I wasn't sure if I would be disappointed since my hopes were so high or if they hype would be true.  In the past few months I have had increased irritation with Walgreens and their coupon policies and the new Balance Rewards are making deals harder to find.  Getting a deal at Walgreens was possible but probably the most complicated couponing I have ever done and often left me wondering if it was really worth it.  But this post is about CVS so I will be done with my anti-walgreens propaganda ;)

I have heard many couponers talk about how great CVS is and how Coupon friendly they are and how you can score some really great deals.  I was so excited about Stillwater getting a CVS but also a little nervous.  This was a whole new store to learn and a whole new coupon policy to learn.

Before My first Trip:
CVS had been doing a lot of promoting so I stopped by after the parade and at walk-around and got my card (also scoring a coupon for a free 20 oz. coke) and at each location got a coupon for $5 off $15 purchase and a coupon for a FREE CVS product (up to $3).  I was ready to go and expected to use coupons to try and spend almost exactly $15 to use coupon and only have to pay $10.  I decided to look up my FAVORITE coupon blog and read her blog for CVS newbies here.  So glad I did!  I learned that if you use the $5 off first then follow it with the other coupons you can save a lot more.

My trip:


I looked at the add and wanted to get items that gave back Extra Care Bucks but didn't really find much.  I ended up getting:

20 oz Coke (that I would use my free coupon for) $1.67
(2) 14 Ct Tide Pods - $4.44 each (Plus I had a $1 off coupon and a $.50 off coupon I used)
CVS Bandaids - $2.37 (that I would use the CVS free product coupon)
Pantene Shampoo & Conditioner (I had two coupons for free pantene product from writing to manufacturer*) - $4.99 ea or 2 for $8

Subtotal before Coupons: $20.92

- $5 off $15 CVS Coupon
- $3 CVS Coupon (said free item or $3 off but rung up $3 off saving me more!)
- $1.67 Free Coke CVS Coupon
- $1 off Tide Pods Coupon
- $0.50 off Tide Pods Coupon
- $4.99 Pantene Coupon (Pantene list Price for CVS)
- $4.99 Pantene Coupon (Pantene list Price for CVS)

Subtotal after Coupons: $ -0.23 !!!!!!!!!
tax: $1.13
I paid $0.90 and when my receipt Printed off I got $1 Extra Care Bucks for my next Purchase! (This is a coupon that you can use off of your next purchase and works on almost any item in the store...basically, FREE MONEY!)



What I like about CVS shopping:
  • Hassle free - I didn't have 1 problem with a coupon, it was so stress free!
  • Easy - I didn't have to do lots of calculating or make sure my item number was equal to or less than my number of coupons despite a coupon policy that allows a store coupon and manufacturer coupon on a single item, or making sure my total was above a certain price after coupons but before tax and all those other crazy rules that other stores have.
  • Car Carts for Maddie - her being able to drive and honk a horn made my shopping experience much more enjoyable
  • Friendly Staff - the staff has been super helpful since opening and everyone was really friendly even with my many coupons.
So, I end with saying that I am so excited to have a CVS!  I look forward to giving them lots of business and finding some great deals :)  Hope you will check it out too!

1 comment:

  1. Make sure to check out that link for Coupon Order, it makes a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete