July 31, 2012

Olympic Mania - Maddie's Fashion Line

Most people that know me would say that I am a wee bit obsessed with the Olympics, ESPECIALLY the summer olympics!  4 years is way too long to wait and since I have so long to plan I go a little overboard when the time comes.  This year my overboard can best be seen in the Olympic fashion line I designed and made for Madeline.  I made most of the outfits but there are 2 that I did not make but definitely fit into the line :)  So Here are her outfits:

First - "Let the Games Begin"
This outfit she wore the day of the opening ceremonies because of the torch but it can obviously be worn any time; it just screams "OLYMPICS!"
Pillow case I bought at a garage sale for $0.10 then I had the felt and ribbon.  Very easy.  I just freehand cut and sewed all of it (no pattern).  It's just a basic pillow case dress.

Second - "Tennis Champ"
When I was looking for olympic outfit ideas I saw a tennis outfit that one of the William's sisters had on.  It was really cute so I decided Maddie needed one in her size.
 She's really cheesing in that first pic but I was happy to just get a picture!  This was definitely the most difficult of all the outfits.  I used a cheerleading dress to make the cut out and altered the top to be kind of a halter top.Then just added ribbon for tie and embellishments.  It is a two piece outfit so the skirt can go with other outfits too.

Third - "Martha Washington"
Ok, so I just think that this dress reminds me of olden days patriotic.  This also was worn 4th of July.  I used an old shirt she had then added the skirt portion.  This was not my original design, I used the instructions from this blog.


This wasn't too hard, the only thing is that the skirt part is a little tight and hard to get over her head, probably would have been good to have some elastic.  I used old tshirts for the ruffle and ribbon I had.  The only fabric I purchased was the blue polka dot.

Fourth - "Winner's Wear Gold"
Some people may wonder how this fits in since it's not the traditional red, white and blue, however, when you ask people to list the first words that come to mind when you say "olympics" gold will be on that list.  Everyone who competes is going for the gold and I want to train my daughter to be a winner, and winners wear gold :)

 Although hard to tell, this dress comes about to the knees, maybe a little longer.  I got this shirt at an elderly woman's garage sale.  It was a long sleeved, collared button up shirt.  I cut off sleeves and collar and trimmed it to the length I needed.  I made it similar to a pillowcase dress but added an elastic waist.  The buttons are the back because they looked too bunchy in the front.  It's hanging kind of funny in the picture but again, it's a miracle that I got a picture at all haha.  This dress is one of my favorites, looks so cute on her!

Fifth - "Olympic Rings" Tee
I really wanted a tee shirt with olympic rings but couldn't find one I liked at a reasonable price...so I made one :)
This is a simple tee, I just cut rings out of felt that I got for $0.25 each at hobby lobby.  It's easy to pair with one of her olympic skirts or just a pair of jean shorts.

Sixth - "Wavey Flag"
This one was just too cute.  I saw it on pinterst and couldn't resist making it.  Plus, another easy shirt to pair with skirt or shorts.

Additional looks - "Stars" and "Stripes"
These are NOT homemade but super cute and had to be included in the line :)


The shirt was a gift and the star skirt was $5 at Wal-mart.  The OshKosh dress was actually a hand me down.


And THAT is the Olympic line :)  Total cost for all of this was less than $15.  Not bad for 8 outfits.  Just look around your house and see what you got then you can make holiday/sports outfits for cheap that are super festive!  Oh, and Go USA!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment