May 21, 2012

My Baby Can Read - Update

It has been a month and a half since we started "my baby can read" and I will report that she's not reading yet haha.  But that's not the reason for the new post.  We started the second DVD about 2 weeks ago and there were several new body parts that it was teaching.  I decided to ask her where parts were to see if she could identify them.  I wasn't sure if she was getting that when they said "mouth" what a mouth really was.  The body parts that have been introduced up to now are as follows: eyes, ears, head, nose, mouth, tongue, arms, toes.  Of these, she knows all of them except nose and possibly arms (she can put her arms up but i'm not sure if she knows that they are actually arms or if it's just a gesture to do).  And for some reason she can't get nose, she will point to toes (which kind of makes sense) or ears (I have no clue on this one...she likes to point to her ears though, it must be her default haha).

While she is starting to understand where her body parts are, if I ask "where is daddy's mouth" she doesn't seem to know.  As she gets a few more down I have started adding some additional ones (like tummy and hair) but have also started working on animals and their sounds.

What I like - Instead of throwing all of the body parts at her at once, it is giving a few at a time.  This helps me to know which ones to reinforce and ask at other times.  It also has lots of animals that she can clearly identify and is working on sounds.

I have also noticed that at the end of the video it is actually starting to teach some of the basics of the English language.  For example, it will put up 3 words all beginning with H and point out that they have the same sound.  It also taught about adding -ing to a word and showed how 3 words they had learned all ended in -ing but also that you could add it to words showing the word kick, then kicking. 

She still loves watching her video and reading her books and flashcards too.  I'll continue to update as needed and as always, if you have any questions, please ask!

1 comment:

  1. I think the most important thing is you are being intentional and spending time with her. Knowing the family tree, I'm sure she'll have no problem talking.

    ReplyDelete